With cold weather and the holidays quickly approaching, sometimes we just need a good, hot meal to warm our insides at the end of the day. Slow cooker lasagna is a simple recipe that you can pop in, go to class and then come home to something delicious.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 4 to 6 hours
-1 lb Italian sausage
-1 medium onion, chopped
-3 cans (15 oz each) Italian-style tomato sauce
-2 tsp dried basil leaves
-1/2 tsp salt
-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
-1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese
-1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
-15 uncooked lasagna noodles
For Vegetarian Lasagna substitute this veggie mixture instead of the sausage
-1 red bell pepper, chopped
-2 medium zucchini, chopped
-1 medium eggplant, chopped
1. Cook sausage and onion in a medium skillet over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage has no pink; drain grease. Stir in tomato sauce, basil and salt.
Or for veggie lasagna;
2. In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm a splash of olive oil over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, zucchini, eggplant and onion. Cook, stirring every few minutes until veggies are golden around the edges 8 to 12 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, basil and salt.
3.Mix one cup of the mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese and parmesan cheeses.
4. Spoon ¼ of the sausage or veggie mixture into slow cooker; top with five noodles broken into pieces to fit into the slow cooker. Spread with ½ of the cheese mixture and ¼ of the sausage/veggie mixture. Top with 5 noodles, remaining cheese mixture and ¼ sausage/veggie mixture. Top with the remaining 5 noodles and remaining sausage/veggie mixture.
5.Cover and cook on low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or until noodles are tender.
6. When lasagna is finished sprinkle top with remaining one cup mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
7. Cut into pieces and enjoy!